Saturday, June 25, 2011

I'm More Ignorant Than I Give Myself Credit For

The dilemma swarming my head at the moment: the rising number of young girls deciding to de-hijabify themselves.

Yes, I am more ignorant than I give myself credit for. I am ignorant because I lack understanding the world and people around me. No matter how I try to make sense of it, think it through, try to put myself in other's shoes - I just am not being able to understand the reason for taking off a hijab in America, specifically for women who made the decision to put one on of their own accord.

To be even more specific, I'm talking about here in houston. There are hijabis everywhere, so it's really hard to feel like the odd one out. It's so diverse that everyone fits in.
If there's one racist comment thrown at you, you have an army of open-minded people that stand up for you instantly.
More than anything, a girl who decides to put on a hijab is respected as a woman here. From my experience, people respect you for the decision you make of practicing your religion boldly, and even support you as they can.
So with all those pluses, why take it off?
I am sincerely asking for somebody to explain the reasoning here because I truly dont understand it.

Could it be social or family pressures that are too much to handle?
Is it an inner insecurity?
Or is it just a change of fashion?
God I hope it's not for the sake of vanity.

I had a friend who's older sister took her hijab off a few years ago. When I asked my friend why she did it, she said her sister was feeling constricted and couldnt even remember the reason she put the hijab on in the first place. So she took it off, and according to my friend she was a lot happier. At 14, I didnt know what to make of it. Now at 19, almost 20, I still dont know what to make of it.
She may have forgotten why she put her hijab on, but I remember her telling us - it was God. God...GOD.
How do you forget God?
How do you forget the reason for your pious action, was God?
What humans had the ability to distract your mind so much, that you forgot that the reason for your modesty was God?

I know, I know. I'm running around in circles with these questions. As you can see, i wasnt lying when i said I lack complete understanding for this surge of de-hijabifiying.
It's just very worrying to me to see and hear of a growing number of young, smart girls who are going against their own decision and dropping the veil.
It hurts to see a fellow Muslim drop a step down.
Obviously I dont know what is in their hearts - their reason, their faith. I dont know about any of it. All i know is what I see. And what I see is the decision to do something wrong over the decision to do something right. And i dont understand it.

The other thing that really bothers me is other people's reaction to a de-hijabification.
Why do people congratulate you? What is there t congratulate over?
The woman is no longer a hijabi. How do you even know what to say to that?
I sure as hell dont have words...but i'm 100% certain that 'congratualtions' is not the right word.

Maybe these 'well-wishers' think that these women are breaking out a primitive way of thought, and so they feel congratulations are in order.
Maybe their congratulating the girls for revealing their beauty..becoming more feminine? for becoming more independent?
Again, i'm ignorant here. I dont know. All I know is that, regardless of how happy you feel for someone removing their hijab, i think that its quite disrespectful and arrogant to congratulate them over it. I admit, I think it's offensive. To me that's the equivalent of blatantly saying you think the religion is wrong. You may think it, but that doesnt mean you have to seem so hostile, or smug about it.

Yes, yes, this is my bias speaking, I know...
SIGH.
As you can probably guess by the tone of this post, I feel quite upset. Fellow Muslim sisters are de-hijabifying themselves, and it just hurts to see it. There is a very simple way to explain how I feel: I dont like it. I just plain dont like it.

But...it's not my life is it?
It's not my life, not my decision, not my judgement, and not my relationship with God. It has nothing to do with me.
So here I sit, typing out this blog only to realize I cant really do much. And that just plain old sucks.
I pray that these girls turn to God again, look to him for strength, and find the faith to put their hijabs back on.
I pray that I and other hijabis find the strength and faith to continue wearing our hijabs for the rest of our lives, so that we may set good examples for other Muslims and represent Islam in the best manner we can.
And i pray that other Muslim girls find the reason and guidance they need to put the hijab on as proud Muslim women.
Inshallah.

No comments:

Post a Comment