Thursday, December 9, 2010

Oh Finals, How I Run From You

So I’m supposed to be studying for my finals, which naturally means that it’s the perfect time for a new post to distract me! At the moment I have nothing frustrating or controversial to rant about (besides finals but we’re just going to avoid that topic for now), so what can I possibly write about?
Well I was reviewing the past few days in my head and I remembered this conversation:

Andrea: I’m sorry, I’m going to finish your jam. I’ll pay for it.
Me: you don’t have to pay for it, I don’t mind.
Andrea: no I’ll pay for it. How much was it, $8?
Me: 8 dollars! Do I really look like I would pay $8 for jam?
Andrea and Nickkie: Yes.
Me……

Which got me thinking, according to Russell Peter’s definition, I’m more Jewish than Indian

I love a good deal. 2 for 3, buy one get one free, free shipping and samples for spending x amount - you get the idea. I swear my browny sense starts tingling whenever I pass a dollar or goodwill store.
Off brand make-up doesn’t bother me. Neither does dollar store lotion, and $5 shoes. For most things my motto is: if it works as well, it works for me.
But there are some things I’m always willing to spend money for, and some things I insist have to be brand name (it’s weird typing this down, I never realized it before).

Here is a short list of some of the things I insist on having a brand name:
-pads. It’s already the most uncomfortable time of the month, why make it worse? It has to be either Kotex or Always, no drug store brands please!
-toilet paper. I hate thin, single layered toilet paper. That stuff dissolves in the frikin package. Charmin please!
-deodorant. I’m brown. ‘nuff said.
-cameras. Why spend half the money for half the quality and ¼ of the life expectancy? If you have to make a technology investment, might as well make it a good one that will last long from the get go. Nikon has proven itself to me. And this goes for computers and phones too.

I honestly think that’s about it…
Things I don’t mind shelling money out for if I have it:
-make-up! If I can get it for a dollar great! But if I have to pay a bit more Revlon or Sephora, I won’t hesitate.
-books! Especially classics. Before I got the Kindle I spent about all my birthday, Eid and Graduation money in Half-price bookstore (just because I’m willing to spend the money doesn’t mean I cant be smart ;) for things like Edgar Allan Poe’s whole collection, Moby Dick, and Homer’s works.
-food I.e. company. I don’t mind snack food and taco bell. but if company is involved, depending on who you are, I have no qualms with going to a fast-food joint as well as a fancy restaurant. Friends and food = an amazing time out and money worth spending. If I don’t like you, I wont want to spend money with you.

Things I have bought off-brand and would buy again:
- clothes. I don’t buy clothes to look good, I buy clothes to feel comfortable in something that will cover me at the same time. If my memory serves me well, I have never spent more than $13 on pants. Most of my pants are $6 or less. Most expensive shirt I own was $20 but it was a gift. Most expensive shirts I’ve bought were the school shirts they sold for $10. Other wise my shirts are $6 and bellow.
- shoes and bags. Most expensive pair of shoes = $33, purchase made due to Nichole’s evil coaxing ways. With that exception all of my shoes are $20 and under. As for bags, well I rarely buy bags so I don’t remember the most I’ve spent on them. But the cheapest bags I ever bought were $1 each at a garage sale! -still so proud of myself for that! XD
- food. Why hallo there Great Value.

So I guess I can see why Nickkie and Andrea would say ‘yes’ so quickly to me spending 8 bucks on jam. Because even though I love being cheap, I love giving into my fancies even more. And if I have the money for it, I do it. Because I don’t consider enjoyment a waste of money =)

What about you? What are some things you insist on having name brand, wouldn’t mind shelling out money for, and things you would take a trip to the dollar store for again? Leave your comments here or tell me on face book!

On a positive ending note: my playlist right now is amazing! Starts with (Shake up Christmas - Train) (Magic - B.o.B.) (Letting Go - Sean Kingston) (I see the light - Tangled Soundtrack) (Your love - Nicki Minaj) (Check It Out - Will I. Am. & Nicki Minaj) (Strawberry Wine - Deana Carter) (Kids- MGMT) (Love Today - MIKA) (Chasing Pavement - Adele) (Rehab - Amy Winehouse) ( Moment 4 Life - Nicki Minaj) (Love Like Woah - The Ready Set)
My my, my entry is just full of lists today!
Good luck on finals all =)

No comments:

Post a Comment